Today's creation from my Renaissance Organics box is Broccolini with marsala braised mushrooms and pancetta.
- 1 lb fresh broccolini (blanched for 3 minutes and shocked in cold water)
- 1/2 c yellow onion small dice
- 2 c mix white/crimini and wild mushrooms, sliced/torn into bite size
- 1 large clove garlic pressed or minced
- 1 c marsala wine
- 1/2 c red wine or sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 lb pancetta (get two 1/3 in" thick slices from your deli), cut in medium dice
Blanch and shock broccolini.
In a small saucepan simmer wine and vinegar over med-low heat til it reduces to 3/4 c (about down by half) Meanwhile, heat olive oil over med heat in a large skillet with at least 2" high sides. Add diced pancetta and let caramelize on all sides, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon then add in onions and sweat them til almost translucent.
Add in mushrooms and sautee another 5 minutes then add garlic and cook for one minute more.
Now add in broccolini and half of the wine reduction and simmer for 3 minutes to heat through and combine flavors. taste for seasoning. add salt and pepper to taste (the pancetta will add some salty flavor).
Serve with brown rice or orzo pasta. garnish with pancetta.