It's soup weather for sure. Rainy and cool , if not cold days. I am turing this classically cold soup into something heartier and more fall soul soothing to fit not only the box this week but the weather and what our bodies crave.
Potato soup boasts not only high amounts of vitamin C found naturally in potatoes but these ink blue spuds have additional health benefits. The same rich antioxidant found in blueberries is indeed in this tuber, anthocyanin.
Warm root vegetable soup with butter brown thyme mushrooms, madeira and parsley
This is a modest fat variation. Go all out and use heavy cream if you wish. I won't judge you.
- 3 c purple potatoes (peel if you don't have a ricer or food mill) cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 c coarsely chopped large onion , red if you have it but any spanish or yellow onion will do
- 3 cloves garlic smashed and peeled
- 3 med to large parsnips peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks (remove the woody interior if you want an even smoother soup)
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 tsp fresh thyme (you still have some from last weeks box don't you?)
- 1 cups sliced mushrooms
- 5 cups low sodium or homemade chicken stock
- 1/4 c madeira
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk, heavy cream or coconut creamer
in a med to large heavy pot melt butter over medium heat. put in chopped onions and sautee for 5 minutes. Add in parsnips and saute 7 minutes more. Get some color on the parsnips! add garlic in last 2 minutes so it does not burn. Meanwhile peel potatoes and cut into 2 inch chunks.
Add in stock and thyme. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Slice mushrooms while potatoes simmer. In a skillet heat some olive oil over med heat and put in mushrooms along with a sprig of thyme. sautee until they brown and set aside to garnish soup. Chop parsley for garnish.
Once potatoes are tender turn heat off. If you did not peel potatoes to use a food ricer remove potatoes now and push thru the ricer. If potatoes were peeled prior to cooking use an immersion blender or food processor to puree the pot contents til smooth.
If potatoes are riced put them back in the hot pureered mixture. Add in madeira and cream. Check for seasoning. Remove thyme stems if left whole.
Ladel soup into bowls and top with sauteed mushrooms and parsley. Enjoy with whole grain bread.