Vegetarians I have a treat for you.
I have a lifelong apple obsession. It has proven to be beneficial in the culinary arena. I have come up with same damn good creative uses for this fruit. Lately it is boiling down cider to make it a honey like consistency. I boiled down 4 cups to make 1/2 cup of this mock honey.
Now to put that liquid gold into a salad dressing is a delicious idea indeed.
The actual body of the salad matters as much as the accessory here. Salads are all about texture. This one fuses crunchy romaine with quinoa and walnuts all brought together by the apple honey dressing. DELICIOUS.
For the dressing:
- 2-3 tablespoons of apple honey
- juice of one large lime
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch cayenne pepper
- fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 fresh clove of garlic pressed (no prechopped garlic under any circumstance)
- 1 tbsp olive oil or walnut oil
Combine all ingredients and whisk til fully incorporated. Taste to correct seasoning.
- 5 cups rinsed chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 c. cooked quinoa (cook in salted water, not stock), cooled
- 1/2 walnuts toasted and coarsely chopped
Assemble in large bowl and toss to combine. Add dressing and toss again. Serve immediately.